the other day I was being heckled for this sandwich blog, and someone started asking me all sorts of questions about what is my favorite sandwich shop chain. My first thought was Schlotzky’s because they make a pretty good sandwich, with good bread and decent ingredients. They also toast things well too, unlike Quizno’s who just plain sucks. After some more pondering, I changed my mind to Spicy Pickle because they offer a slightly higher end sandwich; a panini. A panini is a type of sandwich, but the bread is turned inside out with olive oil, then pressed in a “panini press” for a couple of minutes to warm everything up inside.
After more pondering, I think i would say for a traditional sandwich, Schlotzky’s wins, but overall experience, i’m going with spicy pickle. The Spicy Pickle also does soups and salads as well…
Anyway, this brings me to my next point. DON’T GO TO CHAIN SANDWICH SHOPS!!!!!!
• they promote bad sandwiches
• they use crappy ingredients
• the bread is all pre-cooked way in advance, then warmed up
• You get what you pay for!
• if you have to have 37 different types of sauces, then toast it until it is so crispy you cannot fold it and have it stay together, there is something wrong with that!
Lets look at some examples:
• Quiznos: $4 Torpedo. it is a thin loaf that is just really long. they cut it in half, weigh out the ingredients, coat is in a sauce that comes out of a gallon jug, toast it after adding some “spices” (dried oregano), then cut it in half and give it back to you in a paper tube.
• Jimmy John’s: They have days where they offer sandwiches for $1! Yes, that’s great! Too bad ITS NOT WORTH IT! “Freaky Fast and Freaky Good” is their motto. They also have “Free Smells” as a sign on their door. There is one down the street from me (on the way to D’Deli, which I have yet to enter, and condsider an eyesore. I don’t want a sandwich that they can make in 20 seconds with sub-par ingredients.
• Subway: “The Sandwich Artists” and Jared are their two main selling points. Forget the fact that they are based out of Milford, CT, which is a place that doesn’t even have SUBWAYS! All subways smell the same… kind of like the gas station they are in or should be in. There are not very many stand-alone SUBWAY shops around… most of them are nestled into the corner somewhere. I mean, the bread always looks like it is being baked fresh in that fancy oven they all have, but really? Where is the dough being made? Are they kneading it when they are filling up the gas pumps? They also have a lot of sauces which are supposed to make the sandwich tasty, but most of the time all it does is give you gas…. I suppose if you are somewhere where this or McDonalds are the two options, this is a better one, but why didn’t you think ahead and bring your own sandwich in the first place!
• All other fast food restaurants that claim they have sandwiches: Wendy’s, McDonalds, Burger King, Jack in the Box, Hardees, etc… these are not sandwiches. These are processed fast food between a bun with some mayo and lettuce and one slice of tomato… if you ask them to put fries in your sandwich, it probably won’t happen. I love me some wendy’s but I don’t call them sandwiches!