So this is called the dirty hippy because it is a vegetarian sandwich…. it is at my favorite local sandwich shop D’Deli and it is downright fantastic now that they have crispy onions.
it is a sandwich with a variety of tastes, but as always, neatly balanced in layers.
• Start out with the bread. (at D’Deli they use Italian loaf, at home I use a multi-grain, a sourdough, or an Oat bread, unless I have italian loaf or something like that… garlic bread could work as well too, but only if it is not too strong) then put honey and teriyaki sauce directly on the bread
• then put down the cheeses. Smoked gouda, Pepper Jack, and Munster (sweeter cheeses… if using a cheddar, don’t go too sharp)
• Next is a layer of guacamole, on top of the cheese… spread thin, but not too thin
• then throw down some of the crispy onions and cilantro
• then some corn and bean mix (like a salsa, but no tomatoes… but if you have diced tomatoes, a couple would be good)
• then some spinach (fresh of course)
• then some red peppers
• then a very very very very very light touch of the teriyaki sauce (because most of the other stuff soaks into the bread…. you want a little of that zest to remain untouched)
• cut in half and eat…